I spent the early stages of the month settling into my new role of Sales Manager, finding my way around the two hotels has been one mean feat - and I am slowly feeling like one of the team. My three day week remains a life treat, however I am looking forward to Spring which will hopefully kick my lazy butt into gear.
Another social month, Anton launched into it with a super London Stag Do for Bevan, while I enjoyed a Sunday lunch on a Saturday which started at 2pm on the Saturday and finished at 2am on the Sunday! A visit to friends in Poole was thrown in there too, ahh, sea air - a splendid day spent by the sea. Wellington friend Kim was in London visiting her sister Lisa, so I enjoyed a glorious day of introducing her to our adoptive home while relishing in a girlie catch-up.
Paige counted down to her big 16th birthday, a family dinner and plenty of presents prior to our departure to the US started two weeks of celebrations for her. Staying with her friend Nicole, she had a nice break from us, treated like a princess for her 16th birthday, and then enjoyed dinner with friends upon our return. Sadly, I remember 16 like it was yesterday, and I have the feeling that Paige is much more streetwise, strong willed and self assured than I was at that age. She has so many exciting adventures ahead of her, her dreams are larger than life, but achievable.
Anton and I headed away for two weeks holiday and more importantly for our friends Bevan and Hillary's wedding. An itinerary filled of new adventures and plenty of fun we had an absolute ball in New York, Las Vegas and Colorado.
We fell in love with New York. Arriving late Friday evening we wandered Times Square, didn't succumb to the hot dog vendors, but had fun taking in the sights. The next two days were spent roaming the streets and enjoying seeing landmarks viewed for a lifetime on TV. Highlights included the Brooklyn Bridge, Empire State Building, shopping for Paige at Saks on 5th Avenue, jumping into yellow cabs and calling out street coordinates like a local, bumping into friends from London at the Diamond district, and stepping even if only briefly into Central Park.
Then we headed to Las Vegas! Bevan may proclaim like many grooms that he didn't really know what was happening with his wedding day... other than the 'I dos', but he was always confident that Vegas was the spot to see out his last days of being an unwed man - and with plenty of Kiwi friends joining in to ensure he had a great time - the boys hit Vegas and they hit it big. 9.30am departure, 1 hour afternoon nap, then partying until 6am the next morning! Mind you, despite Anton knowing the ins and outs of most of the Strip, it was still up to me the next day to navigate and introduce him to Vegas by day. The girls didn't have such a frantic time of it, but we enjoyed a stunning meal overlooking the Bellagio Fountains, then danced until the early hours at Pure @ Caesars Palace. I know I'm getting old when music mixes frustrate me as I want to hear an entire song!
Vegas memories include singing until 1am to the piano duo at Napoleons in Paris, losing $6 on the slot machines, walking from Venice to New York in one hour, Cirque du Soleil 'O' Show at the Bellagio... spectacularly breathtaking, and being with friends while discovering the adults play land.
Colorado meant for a change in pace, but the excitement was only really just beginning. Arriving to Winter Park late Thursday, we had a day before the big event and then two days of R&R to follow. Colorado is a winter wonderland, so we didn't really know what to expect. With a tourism industry designed to make everything easy, we had so much fun discovering the surrounding areas. Not really conditioned for skiing, we enjoyed a leisurely sleigh ride, tubing and snow mobiling while there. Our cabin at Devils Thumb Ranch was idyllic and the perfect retreat after a busy week.
The highlight of Colorado is of course Bevan and Hillary's wedding. Hillary had worked hard for the past 18 months to put together a memorable occasion for everyone. No small detail was overlooked, and we all have a marvelous day. From her arrival down the aisle to our departure from the bar at 2am, we had fun from the getgo. Altitude sickness affected us all in one way or the other, but our excitement for B&H didn't slow anyone down.
Aspen trees, fairy lights, scented pine cones, colourful travel pictures, elegant flowers, wonderful food, nz wine, music which kept us dancing or when resting toes tapping... were all woven together in one magical day.
Aspen trees, fairy lights, scented pine cones, colourful travel pictures, elegant flowers, wonderful food, nz wine, music which kept us dancing or when resting toes tapping... were all woven together in one magical day.
February deserves to be such a mammoth entry, as I have been told by a source near and dear to me, that there won't be any more holidays this year! So a bit of a shame to have all the excitement over in one month, but hey I really can't complain!
1 comment:
You all have been experiencing some amazing sights in some great places. Paige has grown up to quick, and becoming a beautiful young lady. Will be great to have you home for your wedding in Jan 2011. Will be an exciting time with family and friends. Love Anne and Mick xxx
Post a Comment