Sunday, 23 September 2012

Epic July2012!

July was incredible, so many pinch me moments, so many magic happenings.  A month to celebrate our adoptive home, with gorgeous New Zealand highlights woven throughout.

Wandering around the London Boroughs and streets still manages to give me a thrill.  This is a beautiful city, and there is never a day that goes by where I don't see something I love or discover something new.

On a cool July day Mr B and I headed out in search of BT Artboxes.  An art collective raising funds and awareness for ChildLine in its 25th year.  With the BT boxes brought to creative life by artists, we traipsed around Embankment, Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden and through to Holborn in search of these delightful art pieces.  You will spy Big Ben in the collage, which was tirelessly  and lovingly created by London based NZ Artist Mandii Pope.  Talented beyond words, I can only begin to imagine the pride she felt at having her art work sat near Trafalgar Square with the real Big Ben looking on from afar.  Of course London being London, we had forgotten about the Pride Parade, and wandered into that too, and thoroughly enjoyed our day of hunting mixed with watching people celebrate and rejoice in life choices.  The place was heaving, and we often got caught up in crowds of  back-packed donned teens from Europe who are marched around London's many landmarks in a tick-list attempt to say they had seen everything.  In the build up to the London2012 Olympic Games - the city was electric.

My rock fest of June continued into July, when musical dreams continued to come true.  On a wet July eve I rocked out with Paige, her friend Sid, and always keen to party Rishi to Cold Chisel (still LOVE Jimmy Barnes as much as I did 24 years ago!), Iggy Pop and Soundgarden!!!!  The exclamation marks are warranted as it had been about 15 years since Soundgarden performed outside of the States, and a lifetime ago since Chisel fronted as a band.  The rain couldn't dampen our spirits, and Hyde Park rocked the night away.

Amongst all of this, there was still time for a wonderful surprise brunch at my most favourite dining location and store Fortnum and Masons with JG, LadiesWhoDine dinner with some of my lovely London friends; the meeting of Fashion Icon Annah Stretton and work adventures to Poole.

Meeting Annah Stretton saw me complete another wish list item, and I was truly honoured to meet her.  A strong business woman who has steamed ahead in her career and built a business which not only makes women feel great, but employs and supports them.  Having her stand in front of an audience of 60 in the hotel I was currently employed was a real treat.  She spoke of Thought Leadership, and although I am agreed to disagree on some of her points.  It doesn't take away my admiration of a hard working, passionate and determined woman.  Her frocks make me feel fab and will always be on my shopping list when visiting NZ.

As Friday 27th July approached, Olympic Fever took over the City.  The Olympic Torch was fast approaching, tourists descended, some locals departed and streets gleamed as though ready for royalty.  Well I suppose I'm right, sporting royalty from around the globe visited London.  And boy the city didn't disappoint.  No matter your thoughts about the Olympic movement, the money spent, the branding police and heightened if sometimes extreme security measures - I really don't think you can say anything else other than the fact that the games themselves were a resounding success.

I had been a little bah humbug about it all, from a commercial perspective in the Hotel world, the games sometimes felt like the pits.  It had created a wish for wealth wave, and the reality was that folks attending the games were really only spending their money on the games.  However, having worked with the Torch Relay team over the course of a year, I put in a little wish for the torch to make an appearance at Marble Arch.  Lo and behold only a matter of moments before a lit torch trumpeted its way down Oxford Street, a Torch was delivered to our property, and the team gathered for once in a lifetime pics.  For me, this was the glorious moment when the games came alive.
 
I beamed with delight holding this glorious symbol of unity, sportsmanship and pride.  I let go of all my frustrations, and remembered that this was about the Athletes.  The hard working people who support them, their families, friends and fellow countrymen.  So taking on a clients positive Olympic slogan of "help, not hate"; I took on the pride of the city and looked forward to welcoming the visitors of 204 countries.

Having opted out of the headache that was the ticketing ballots, we entered the games ticket free.  Hopeful that lady luck would shine our way, and an opportunity would open up.  This came in the guise of voluntary work, and before I knew it, I had signed myself and my gorgeous family up to help out at Kiwi House.  The home for Kiwis over the course of the games.  Such an epic few weeks, this deserves to be a post of its own.

So that is where I leave July.  A wonderful month of uniqueness and once in a lifetime happenings. 

No comments: