I have been busy living, but have certainly missed writing my monthly 'life' travel blogs, as reminiscing fuels my soul... I love the warm fuzzy feeling of great memories. This writing hiatus happens quite a bit for me. Not too sure why. I sometimes just get to the end of a month and think, nope not writing yet. Then I sit here having not posted anything beyond March 2013 and think - why ever not!
So how can I update my blog, and myself of my life's happenings over the past 8 months? Simple, thanks to Facebook posts, my monthly photo album and calendar - I can be transported back to the month that was April 2013. A month of family, art, music, history, celebration, commemoration and stationery!
Looking at my calendar for this month I wonder how I managed to fit it all in. We had visits from family; my aunt and uncle from Auckland NZ spent two nights and a day with us in London while they journeyed far and wide throughout the month. We were a welcome way point as they made their way in and out of the country. So wonderful to have family visit, we took them off to The Ivy for dinner (no photos please) although privacy is the key, there wasn't a celeb to be seen. We spent a lazy day roaming around Hampton Court Palace. A greater London landmark which we hadn't visited since our first visit back in 2005. The grandeur and history still wow me, and the gardens were looking splendid even on a crisp day which carried the promise of Spring.
Speaking of history, April 2013 saw the passing of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. There was a strange sense of celebration from many, and unmasking of pain from others, but on a whole the commemoration of a woman's life. One who has certainly left her mark on the county in which we call home. My political stance has generally been that of frustrated, potentially self imposed misinformed and a little disinterested - often overwhelmed I work to make a mark on my immediate community and those around me. But looking back over the archives of the life which those in the UK had through her lengthy term, I am certainly grateful for the UK that we live in today. Despite economic down turns and immigration frustrations, there is a freedom which comes from living in Londontown in which you can pretty much do what you want, and make dreams come true. From my limited understanding of what has come before me, I can not help but think that without her term of governance, a lot of the progression we see today just wouldn't exist.
And while on the subject of politics, New Zealand saw another landmark day in the Marriage Law Amendments, seeing same-sex marriage become legal. Part of me wishes I was still wedding planning in Wellington, as there would be some superb occasions to plan.
Event planning still remains part of my world though, but now it is Art Gatherings which have become in favour. Part of my new business is the creation of Arty Fun events. A group of supportive friends and Ziggler's joined me at The Tate Modern for a night of exploring Liechtenstein's Exhibition followed by dinner and vino overlooking Old St Paul's. Another pinch-me moment, bringing my love of people, art, food and wine together - what more could a girl ask for.Then on a crisp day I took myself off to Dorking to spend a splendid few hours wandering the Hannah Peschar Sculpture Gardens. A magical day following the trail of sculpture sitting seamlessly in a garden designed by New Zealander Anthony Paul. This was a reccie (look around) for a NZBWN event planned for later in the year. I was spell-bound by the gardens expanse, beauty and the synergy of art and landscape. I truly felt blessed to have this garden all to myself and even found I was talking to myself in delight at all the fabulous things I was seeing. Sometimes company is a wonderful thing, but remember to share with yourself the moments you are living - they are quite a gift - going through the motions can become automatic, so stop, breath and delight.
April saw me start Rock Choir with another singing loving friend, and spent some of my Wednesday evenings rocking to Pop, Motown and Rock Anthems sung in four part harmonies. Doing something solely for the fun of it is incredible fun. No need to put myself forward for every activity, just head along, sing, dance, have fun ... leave. Refreshing! Calling myself an Upper Alto and living out a long awaited dream has been fabulous.
You'd think that that would be about it for a month. But there was so much more. Dancing to David Bowie's 'Space Odyssey' alongside a crazy fun loving friend at the V&A Museum at the Bowie Exhibition, drinking crazy cocktail concoctions to celebrate a friends birthday, dancing and singing my heart out with Will-I-Am at a recording of the Jonathan Ross Show, hanging out with the coolest two year old as I took on the odd babysitting shift to help out a friend, giving away a Ziggle-It! pack with pride at a networking event alongside designer handbags and exclusive skincare - and recognising the value in what it is we do, attending a stationery exhibition and feeling like all my Christmases had arrived at once, wandering around Ceramics Exhibition at the RCA followed by afternoon tea with Mr B at the Royal Albert Hall then venturing to the Science Museum... my kind of heaven, commemorating those who have fallen and given their lives for our freedom at the NZ Society ANZAC drinks reception, and last but not least, dancing the night away in a corporate box to PINK with my Pink loving friend VB.
As I have unravelled my month that was April 2013. I suspect that it is probably due to these jam packed months that I find myself overwhelmed as to where to start. But as my memory foils me often these days, and my busy schedule makes it sometimes impossible to just stop... I have loved rediscovering a month that was pretty spectacular and filled with many of my favourite things.
T x



No comments:
Post a Comment